Phoenix is getting a bad grade from the Arizona Public Interest Research Group for the city’s lack of a transparent website.
“We gave them a D because they’re just not as transparent as they should be with how they’re spending taxpayer dollars,” said PIRG’s Serena Unrein. “The main thing that the city lacks, according to our report, is a central transparency website. Residents just can’t see checkbook level details of how their tax dollars are being spent. We think that people who live in the City of Phoenix should be able to see how their tax dollars are being spent.”
Goldwater Institute Director Byron Schlomach said it wouldn’t cost much for Phoenix to create such a website.
“In some cities, the cost, per resident, has been less than four cents. It would not be expensive, and the benefits would far outweigh the costs.”
Unrein said the report is being presented to Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton on Wednesday.
PIRG rated America’s top 30 cities on how well they provide information about city revenues and spending to the public.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon