Phoenix is getting a bad grade from the Arizona Public Interest Research Group for the city’s lack of a transparent website.
“We gave them a D because they’re just not as transparent as they should be with how they’re spending taxpayer dollars,” said PIRG’s Serena Unrein. “The main thing that the city lacks, according to our report, is a central transparency website. Residents just can’t see checkbook level details of how their tax dollars are being spent. We think that people who live in the City of Phoenix should be able to see how their tax dollars are being spent.”
Goldwater Institute Director Byron Schlomach said it wouldn’t cost much for Phoenix to create such a website.
“In some cities, the cost, per resident, has been less than four cents. It would not be expensive, and the benefits would far outweigh the costs.”
Unrein said the report is being presented to Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton on Wednesday.
PIRG rated America’s top 30 cities on how well they provide information about city revenues and spending to the public.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.