PHOENIX — The most sophisticated aircraft ever built remains grounded because of a battery problem but a Valley aviation consultant is confident the Boeing 787 Dreamliner will be back in the air soon.
Dreamliners were grounded because of battery fire and now National Transportation Safety Board investigators have come to Arizona to test chargers for the airliner batteries made by Securaplane Technologies in Oro Valley.
Longtime American Airlines pilot Jim Tilmon said this is the first time that batteries of this type — lithium ion — have been used on a commercial aircraft. The challenge is unexpected but it’s not the first time that battery technology has been an issue.
“They (investigators) will find the problem just like the found problems with laptop computer batteries, auto batteries, even cellphone batteries. We’re talking billions of dollars that are stake here. I mean billions with a B.”
Tilmon said the Dreamliner is not Grandpa’s airplane. About the only thing it has in common with older aircraft is that the wheels are round.
“The airplane lives and breathes on its electrical system and that means the batteries are extremely important. This is the first time batteries of this type have ever been used on a commercial airplane and this is groundbreaking in many ways and we’re learning as we go along.
“Fire is one thing we don’t like to think about on an airplane because you can’t just pull over and wait for the fire department,” Tilmon said.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match