PHOENIX — The most sophisticated aircraft ever built remains grounded because of a battery problem but a Valley aviation consultant is confident the Boeing 787 Dreamliner will be back in the air soon.
Dreamliners were grounded because of battery fire and now National Transportation Safety Board investigators have come to Arizona to test chargers for the airliner batteries made by Securaplane Technologies in Oro Valley.
Longtime American Airlines pilot Jim Tilmon said this is the first time that batteries of this type — lithium ion — have been used on a commercial aircraft. The challenge is unexpected but it’s not the first time that battery technology has been an issue.
“They (investigators) will find the problem just like the found problems with laptop computer batteries, auto batteries, even cellphone batteries. We’re talking billions of dollars that are stake here. I mean billions with a B.”
Tilmon said the Dreamliner is not Grandpa’s airplane. About the only thing it has in common with older aircraft is that the wheels are round.
“The airplane lives and breathes on its electrical system and that means the batteries are extremely important. This is the first time batteries of this type have ever been used on a commercial airplane and this is groundbreaking in many ways and we’re learning as we go along.
“Fire is one thing we don’t like to think about on an airplane because you can’t just pull over and wait for the fire department,” Tilmon said.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas