PHOENIX — The most sophisticated aircraft ever built remains grounded because of a battery problem but a Valley aviation consultant is confident the Boeing 787 Dreamliner will be back in the air soon.
Dreamliners were grounded because of battery fire and now National Transportation Safety Board investigators have come to Arizona to test chargers for the airliner batteries made by Securaplane Technologies in Oro Valley.
Longtime American Airlines pilot Jim Tilmon said this is the first time that batteries of this type — lithium ion — have been used on a commercial aircraft. The challenge is unexpected but it’s not the first time that battery technology has been an issue.
“They (investigators) will find the problem just like the found problems with laptop computer batteries, auto batteries, even cellphone batteries. We’re talking billions of dollars that are stake here. I mean billions with a B.”
Tilmon said the Dreamliner is not Grandpa’s airplane. About the only thing it has in common with older aircraft is that the wheels are round.
“The airplane lives and breathes on its electrical system and that means the batteries are extremely important. This is the first time batteries of this type have ever been used on a commercial airplane and this is groundbreaking in many ways and we’re learning as we go along.
“Fire is one thing we don’t like to think about on an airplane because you can’t just pull over and wait for the fire department,” Tilmon said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon