PHOENIX — Tuesday marked 40 years since the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion in the United States.
Hundreds of anti-abortion protesters marked the decision’s anniversary with the Phoenix Rally for Life outside of the U.S. Federal Courthouse in Phoenix.
Forty bells rang out, one for each year that has passed since the decision. Several state lawmakers were at the rally, and a proclamation was read from Gov. Jan Brewer supporting the anti-abortion movement.
Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery told the crowd that abortion should be illegal.
“The first civil right mentioned in our founding documents is the right to life, for without the right to life, liberty has no meeting and there can be no pursuit of happiness,” he said. “Yet for 40 years now to the day since Roe v. Wade, our nation has tolerated the killing of innocent children, with over 55 million having been slaughtered.”
Montgomery put that number in perspective.
“That’s over nine Holocausts. That’s 5,500 D-Days. That’s more than 18,000 9/11s. That’s 2.75 million Newtown shootings.”
Karen Williams of Phoenix had an abortion about 25 years ago. She told the crowd that she thinks about her baby every day. She named her unborn child Michael. She wonders “what might have he become, had he been given the chance to live? I can only imagine a first day of school, a band concert, baseball games, picnics and proms, a wedding. I can only imagine.”
Montgomery used the Newtown shootings to issue a personal plea to President Barack Obama to work to overturn Roe vs. Wade.
“If the deaths of 20 children cause such justifiable outrage and motivate you to exercise executive power, and you truly care about children, then act now! Act today,” he said.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets