PHOENIX — Tuesday marked 40 years since the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion in the United States.
Hundreds of anti-abortion protesters marked the decision’s anniversary with the Phoenix Rally for Life outside of the U.S. Federal Courthouse in Phoenix.
Forty bells rang out, one for each year that has passed since the decision. Several state lawmakers were at the rally, and a proclamation was read from Gov. Jan Brewer supporting the anti-abortion movement.
Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery told the crowd that abortion should be illegal.
“The first civil right mentioned in our founding documents is the right to life, for without the right to life, liberty has no meeting and there can be no pursuit of happiness,” he said. “Yet for 40 years now to the day since Roe v. Wade, our nation has tolerated the killing of innocent children, with over 55 million having been slaughtered.”
Montgomery put that number in perspective.
“That’s over nine Holocausts. That’s 5,500 D-Days. That’s more than 18,000 9/11s. That’s 2.75 million Newtown shootings.”
Karen Williams of Phoenix had an abortion about 25 years ago. She told the crowd that she thinks about her baby every day. She named her unborn child Michael. She wonders “what might have he become, had he been given the chance to live? I can only imagine a first day of school, a band concert, baseball games, picnics and proms, a wedding. I can only imagine.”
Montgomery used the Newtown shootings to issue a personal plea to President Barack Obama to work to overturn Roe vs. Wade.
“If the deaths of 20 children cause such justifiable outrage and motivate you to exercise executive power, and you truly care about children, then act now! Act today,” he said.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development