PHOENIX — City leaders are considering expanding the recycling program to apartment complexes across Phoenix.
A pilot project at two complexes, Park Lee and Sunnyslope Manor, revealed that 15 percent of waste is being recycled rather than ending up in the landfill.
The pilot project found each unit at Park Lee was adding 25 pounds of waste in the trash dumpsters and 6 pounds in the recycling container. At Sunnyslope Manor, a senior housing community, each unit averaged 16 pounds of trash and a little over 1 pound of recyclables.
According to the Public Works Department’s website, more than one million tons of waste ends up at the landfill every year, enough to fill Chase Field from top to bottom at least seven times.
A city subcommittee recommended that council members approve the recycling program at multifamily properties.
The council will learn more details at a Tuesday afternoon meeting.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them