PHOENIX — City leaders are considering expanding the recycling program to apartment complexes across Phoenix.
A pilot project at two complexes, Park Lee and Sunnyslope Manor, revealed that 15 percent of waste is being recycled rather than ending up in the landfill.
The pilot project found each unit at Park Lee was adding 25 pounds of waste in the trash dumpsters and 6 pounds in the recycling container. At Sunnyslope Manor, a senior housing community, each unit averaged 16 pounds of trash and a little over 1 pound of recyclables.
According to the Public Works Department’s website, more than one million tons of waste ends up at the landfill every year, enough to fill Chase Field from top to bottom at least seven times.
A city subcommittee recommended that council members approve the recycling program at multifamily properties.
The council will learn more details at a Tuesday afternoon meeting.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever