For years, Phoenix Children’s Hospital has been providing hard copy handout of a teaching tool called Our Journey in the Hospital.
Now, there’s an app for that.
Nurse and health education specialist Fran London said the app shows parents all the things they need to know before their child returns home.
“What problems might develop at home, how to recognize those problems and then how to respond to them, how to comfort the child, sometimes it’s an emotional comfort and sometimes it’s physical,” she said.
London said the app encourages the family to talk to the healthcare team and offers sample topics they might want to discuss, “so that by the time they leave the hospital or the office visit they feel comfortable taking care of their child.”
The app helps parents better handle the child’s illness by having parents not only learn the information, but it also asks parents to “teach” the information back to the health care provider so they know that parents have a thorough understanding or that the provider needs to offer a better explanation.
The Our Journey in the Hospital app is available at no cost for iPads. In February, it will be available for iPhones and Androids.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever