For years, Phoenix Children’s Hospital has been providing hard copy handout of a teaching tool called Our Journey in the Hospital.
Now, there’s an app for that.
Nurse and health education specialist Fran London said the app shows parents all the things they need to know before their child returns home.
“What problems might develop at home, how to recognize those problems and then how to respond to them, how to comfort the child, sometimes it’s an emotional comfort and sometimes it’s physical,” she said.
London said the app encourages the family to talk to the healthcare team and offers sample topics they might want to discuss, “so that by the time they leave the hospital or the office visit they feel comfortable taking care of their child.”
The app helps parents better handle the child’s illness by having parents not only learn the information, but it also asks parents to “teach” the information back to the health care provider so they know that parents have a thorough understanding or that the provider needs to offer a better explanation.
The Our Journey in the Hospital app is available at no cost for iPads. In February, it will be available for iPhones and Androids.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night