SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – A few weeks into his second term, Scottsdale’s mayor thinks things are looking bright for his city.
Jim Lane thinks Scottsdale has a good future.
“We’re going to grow,” Lane said. “We’re going to grow gracefully, and we’re going to do it with real consideration for our legacy and our history.”
Lane is especially proud of one thing that’s been accomplished.
“We really had just fixed an old contract that happened to be an old subsidy agreement from years ago before I was mayor,” Lane said. “We were able to save some $30 million over the next 15 years.”
Lane said things are “toning down” in Old Town Scottsdale. He said there are fewer complaints of noise and trash from around nightclubs in the area.
The mayor wants Scottsdale to continue to spend money to attract visitors.
“It’s important that we properly and efficiently use the kinds of funds that we have made available through the bed tax allocation for capital infrastructure for tourism,” Lane said.
And he wants to continue to make improvements to one facility.
“We’re in the process in Westworld of making some major changes and enhancements,” Lane said. The city last year approved a $40 million dollar expansion of Westworld’s Tony Nelssen Equestrian Center to replace a 120-thousand square foot tent on the property. Westworld is home to the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction.
Lane will give his state of the city address on February 21st at the W hotel in Scottsdale.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees