SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – A few weeks into his second term, Scottsdale’s mayor thinks things are looking bright for his city.
Jim Lane thinks Scottsdale has a good future.
“We’re going to grow,” Lane said. “We’re going to grow gracefully, and we’re going to do it with real consideration for our legacy and our history.”
Lane is especially proud of one thing that’s been accomplished.
“We really had just fixed an old contract that happened to be an old subsidy agreement from years ago before I was mayor,” Lane said. “We were able to save some $30 million over the next 15 years.”
Lane said things are “toning down” in Old Town Scottsdale. He said there are fewer complaints of noise and trash from around nightclubs in the area.
The mayor wants Scottsdale to continue to spend money to attract visitors.
“It’s important that we properly and efficiently use the kinds of funds that we have made available through the bed tax allocation for capital infrastructure for tourism,” Lane said.
And he wants to continue to make improvements to one facility.
“We’re in the process in Westworld of making some major changes and enhancements,” Lane said. The city last year approved a $40 million dollar expansion of Westworld’s Tony Nelssen Equestrian Center to replace a 120-thousand square foot tent on the property. Westworld is home to the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction.
Lane will give his state of the city address on February 21st at the W hotel in Scottsdale.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier