A man who claimed to be involved in the shooting death of former U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry gave a false account, the Federal Bureau of Investigation said in a Friday statement.
Originally, ABC News reported that a man has told a Spanish-language news show that he killed Terry.
Terry was killed in an ambush near Naco, Ariz., in December 2010. His death is closely tied to the government’s botched Fast and Furious gun-walking operation.
Gustavo Cruz-Lozano, a Mexican National, had turned himself in to authorities on Wednesday, on charges of threatening to kill a sheriff in Texas.
A Phoenix FBI spokesman said that the Univision story is inaccurate. It is believed Cruz-Lozano gave the false interview to garner attention.
Cruz-Lozano was arraigned Thursday on two counts of making a terroristic threat
against Hidalgo County, Texas, Sheriff Lupe Trevino, who says he has no evidence
Cruz-Lozano was involved with Terry’s killing.
To date, five people have been indicted in Terry’s death. One of those men, Manuel Osorio-Arellanes, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in Terry’s death on Oct. 30, 2012.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy