A man who claimed to be involved in the shooting death of former U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry gave a false account, the Federal Bureau of Investigation said in a Friday statement.
Originally, ABC News reported that a man has told a Spanish-language news show that he killed Terry.
Terry was killed in an ambush near Naco, Ariz., in December 2010. His death is closely tied to the government’s botched Fast and Furious gun-walking operation.
Gustavo Cruz-Lozano, a Mexican National, had turned himself in to authorities on Wednesday, on charges of threatening to kill a sheriff in Texas.
A Phoenix FBI spokesman said that the Univision story is inaccurate. It is believed Cruz-Lozano gave the false interview to garner attention.
Cruz-Lozano was arraigned Thursday on two counts of making a terroristic threat
against Hidalgo County, Texas, Sheriff Lupe Trevino, who says he has no evidence
Cruz-Lozano was involved with Terry’s killing.
To date, five people have been indicted in Terry’s death. One of those men, Manuel Osorio-Arellanes, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in Terry’s death on Oct. 30, 2012.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.