PHOENIX — Shane Doan, the face of the Phoenix Coyotes, met with patients at Phoenix Children’s 1 Darn Cool School on Thursday.
The Coyotes captain helped present a check to the hospital on behalf of the Desert Schools Federal Credit Union.
After the presentation, Doan spent time with the children, answering questions and signing autographs.
“As an athlete, you get an opportunity to do things that other people don’t get to,” Doan said. “That’s a huge honor, not something you take lightly.”
Doan took a few minutes to answer questions from reporters about the team’s season opener Saturday night in Dallas.
“As a player, you wish (end of NHL lockout) would’ve happened sooner, we are awful appreciative of the fact that fans show up. We had a scrimmage and had 3,500 come out, just to a quick scrimmage. It was pretty special,” he said.
Doan predicts it’s going to be an interesting season.
“None of us have played that much and getting back to the same ol’, same ol’. In the beginning it’s going to make for interesting, intense hockey.”
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain