PHOENIX — Shane Doan, the face of the Phoenix Coyotes, met with patients at Phoenix Children’s 1 Darn Cool School on Thursday.
The Coyotes captain helped present a check to the hospital on behalf of the Desert Schools Federal Credit Union.
After the presentation, Doan spent time with the children, answering questions and signing autographs.
“As an athlete, you get an opportunity to do things that other people don’t get to,” Doan said. “That’s a huge honor, not something you take lightly.”
Doan took a few minutes to answer questions from reporters about the team’s season opener Saturday night in Dallas.
“As a player, you wish (end of NHL lockout) would’ve happened sooner, we are awful appreciative of the fact that fans show up. We had a scrimmage and had 3,500 come out, just to a quick scrimmage. It was pretty special,” he said.
Doan predicts it’s going to be an interesting season.
“None of us have played that much and getting back to the same ol’, same ol’. In the beginning it’s going to make for interesting, intense hockey.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development