PHOENIX — Shane Doan, the face of the Phoenix Coyotes, met with patients at Phoenix Children’s 1 Darn Cool School on Thursday.
The Coyotes captain helped present a check to the hospital on behalf of the Desert Schools Federal Credit Union.
After the presentation, Doan spent time with the children, answering questions and signing autographs.
“As an athlete, you get an opportunity to do things that other people don’t get to,” Doan said. “That’s a huge honor, not something you take lightly.”
Doan took a few minutes to answer questions from reporters about the team’s season opener Saturday night in Dallas.
“As a player, you wish (end of NHL lockout) would’ve happened sooner, we are awful appreciative of the fact that fans show up. We had a scrimmage and had 3,500 come out, just to a quick scrimmage. It was pretty special,” he said.
Doan predicts it’s going to be an interesting season.
“None of us have played that much and getting back to the same ol’, same ol’. In the beginning it’s going to make for interesting, intense hockey.”
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever