PHOENIX — A group of Arizona Democratic and Republican lawmakers are using their backgrounds as military veterans to create a caucus that will focus on veterans’ issues.
Republican Rep. Sonny Borelli of Lake Havasu City was a Marine gunnery sergeant. He said the veterans caucus is going to address the spectrum of issues facing vets, including post traumatic stress, homelessness and high unemployment.
“If people are not working then they have family problems. If you’re married and don’t have a job that is financial stress on a marriage,” said the freshman legislator.
The committee plans to present legislation that would give employers incentives and tax breaks to hire veterans.
Arizona House Assistant Minority Leader Ruben Gallego also served in the Marines. He said, “Arizona is constantly taking in veterans and we are going to have an influx coming back from Afghanistan next year.
“At the end of the day I would like to see Arizona set the standard for being the best veteran friendly state in the nation.”
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck