PHOENIX — A group of Arizona Democratic and Republican lawmakers are using their backgrounds as military veterans to create a caucus that will focus on veterans’ issues.
Republican Rep. Sonny Borelli of Lake Havasu City was a Marine gunnery sergeant. He said the veterans caucus is going to address the spectrum of issues facing vets, including post traumatic stress, homelessness and high unemployment.
“If people are not working then they have family problems. If you’re married and don’t have a job that is financial stress on a marriage,” said the freshman legislator.
The committee plans to present legislation that would give employers incentives and tax breaks to hire veterans.
Arizona House Assistant Minority Leader Ruben Gallego also served in the Marines. He said, “Arizona is constantly taking in veterans and we are going to have an influx coming back from Afghanistan next year.
“At the end of the day I would like to see Arizona set the standard for being the best veteran friendly state in the nation.”
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered