PHOENIX — A new report finds Arizona continues to creep out of the housing slump.
RealtyTrac’s year-end report showed the state’s foreclosure rate last year dropped 33 percent from 2011. The numbers fall in line with the rest of the country, said company vice president Daren Blomquist.
“That number of negative equity homeowners is down 1.6 million from a year ago, so a year ago it was at 12.5 million,” Blomquist said.
“We’re making progress on that front too but it’s not going to be overnight that we get out of the problems created by the house bubble.”
Arizona ended 2012 with the third-highest foreclosure rate in the nation after three consecutive years with the second-highest rate. A total of 76,487 properties had foreclosure filings during the year, 2.69 percent of all housing units in the state (one in 37).
Nationwide, the country is split when it comes to foreclosures — 25 states saw an increase while the other half had a drop in the number of filings.
“There are still 10.9 million homeowners nationwide who owe more on their property than what it’s worth,” Blomquist said.
“That’s just going to take time as home prices gradually increase, for those homeowners to get out from that negative equity position.”
U.S. foreclosure filings fell last month to the lowest level in more than five years.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever