PHOENIX — A new report finds Arizona continues to creep out of the housing slump.
RealtyTrac’s year-end report showed the state’s foreclosure rate last year dropped 33 percent from 2011. The numbers fall in line with the rest of the country, said company vice president Daren Blomquist.
“That number of negative equity homeowners is down 1.6 million from a year ago, so a year ago it was at 12.5 million,” Blomquist said.
“We’re making progress on that front too but it’s not going to be overnight that we get out of the problems created by the house bubble.”
Arizona ended 2012 with the third-highest foreclosure rate in the nation after three consecutive years with the second-highest rate. A total of 76,487 properties had foreclosure filings during the year, 2.69 percent of all housing units in the state (one in 37).
Nationwide, the country is split when it comes to foreclosures — 25 states saw an increase while the other half had a drop in the number of filings.
“There are still 10.9 million homeowners nationwide who owe more on their property than what it’s worth,” Blomquist said.
“That’s just going to take time as home prices gradually increase, for those homeowners to get out from that negative equity position.”
U.S. foreclosure filings fell last month to the lowest level in more than five years.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night