PHOENIX — A new report finds Arizona continues to creep out of the housing slump.
RealtyTrac’s year-end report showed the state’s foreclosure rate last year dropped 33 percent from 2011. The numbers fall in line with the rest of the country, said company vice president Daren Blomquist.
“That number of negative equity homeowners is down 1.6 million from a year ago, so a year ago it was at 12.5 million,” Blomquist said.
“We’re making progress on that front too but it’s not going to be overnight that we get out of the problems created by the house bubble.”
Arizona ended 2012 with the third-highest foreclosure rate in the nation after three consecutive years with the second-highest rate. A total of 76,487 properties had foreclosure filings during the year, 2.69 percent of all housing units in the state (one in 37).
Nationwide, the country is split when it comes to foreclosures — 25 states saw an increase while the other half had a drop in the number of filings.
“There are still 10.9 million homeowners nationwide who owe more on their property than what it’s worth,” Blomquist said.
“That’s just going to take time as home prices gradually increase, for those homeowners to get out from that negative equity position.”
U.S. foreclosure filings fell last month to the lowest level in more than five years.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets