PHOENIX — Suddenly the flu vaccine is in more demand than an iPhone 5.
Health officials report that 85 percent of the vaccine supply in the United States has been delivered and administered, which leaves a small amount in the pipeline.
Arizona hasn’t escaped the stampede for the vaccine.
“Folks that are now saying, ‘I never did get that flu vaccine,’ are trying to find it now. They may find it, but it’s just getting more and more difficult,” said Will Humble, director of the Arizona Department of Health Services.
Students at one of the state’s public universities will have a difficult time getting vaccinated on campus.
Vaccine supply at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff has been depleted and officials are recommending students find the vaccine at local clinics or pharmacies.
Downstate at the University of Arizona in Tucson, health officials are awaiting delivery of a few dozen doses.
“It’s because of the overwhelming demand due to the overwhelming prevalence of influenza this year,” said Eric Anger, pharmacy manager at Arizona State University’s Health Service Center.
Anger reports the school still has a small supply of the vaccine.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments