PHOENIX — Suddenly the flu vaccine is in more demand than an iPhone 5.
Health officials report that 85 percent of the vaccine supply in the United States has been delivered and administered, which leaves a small amount in the pipeline.
Arizona hasn’t escaped the stampede for the vaccine.
“Folks that are now saying, ‘I never did get that flu vaccine,’ are trying to find it now. They may find it, but it’s just getting more and more difficult,” said Will Humble, director of the Arizona Department of Health Services.
Students at one of the state’s public universities will have a difficult time getting vaccinated on campus.
Vaccine supply at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff has been depleted and officials are recommending students find the vaccine at local clinics or pharmacies.
Downstate at the University of Arizona in Tucson, health officials are awaiting delivery of a few dozen doses.
“It’s because of the overwhelming demand due to the overwhelming prevalence of influenza this year,” said Eric Anger, pharmacy manager at Arizona State University’s Health Service Center.
Anger reports the school still has a small supply of the vaccine.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona