PHOENIX — Two programs could make it easier for students to repay their student loans: the Income-Based Repayment Plan and the Pay as you Earn Plan.
“The income-based repayment plan limits the amount [of your highest monthly payment] to 15 percent of your disposable income,” said Mike Sullivan of the Take Charge America Credit Counseling Service. “That is very helpful.”
The plan offers forgiveness after 25 years if students haven’t repaid it yet. The Pay as You Earn Plan is similar, except that it’s capped at 10 percent of a person’s income with a 20-year forgiveness plan.
With each program, students can be taxed on any amount that you’re forgiven. Students must have a partial financial hardship to be eligible for either program.
Sullivan said these plans give students some options.
“When you add these to the public service plan that’s been available for a number of years, it means that there is hope now, at least for dealing with student loans,” he said. “It’s something that students need to be aware of and need to think about. Those who are having student loan problems need to talk with their servicer and do some research and find out if they are eligible for any of these plans.”
With both the income-based and earning plans, students will pay more over time than they would for the standard 10-year plan.
You’ll find a comparison of student loan repayment plans at studentaid.ed.gov.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets