TEMPE, Ariz. — A divorce is a difficult time in anyone’s life, especially children who feel caught in the middle.
In response, Arizona State University is offering a free program designed to help divorced couples be better parents.
“The New Beginnings program is a program that helps parents develop high quality parenting following a divorce or separation,” said Dr. Irwin Sandler, the program’s director.
Sandler said the program teaches parents how to handle several issues.
“Things like developing a more positive relationship with your children, learning to be a good listener for your children, learning to provide high quality discipline and rules for your kids, and keeping your kids out of the middle of conflict between the ex-spouses.”
According to Sandler, putting aside your differences and being a parent can lead to better things for your kids.
“It can lead to [fewer] mental health problems for your child, less substance use, better grades and higher self-esteem,” he said, adding that divorce is a tough time that without good parenting could cause problems for kids for years to come.
To be eligible for the free program, parents must be single and divorced or separated from a spouse or domestic partner during the past two years, and have children between the ages of 3 and 18.
Parents who are interested in signing up for the program can visit nbpdivorce.org or call at (855) 531-0851.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas