PHOENIX — With the recent cold weather, many Valley drivers are facing a dilemma before they head out in the morning.
Some want to get the car warmed up and the heater going so they don’t freeze on the way to work, but if they start the car to warm it up, then leave the garage door up, a criminal could steal the car or something out of the garage. If they leave the garage door down, you risk carbon monoxide fumes.
“We’ve been on calls where people have been overcome by carbon monoxide,” said Phoenix Fire Public Information Officer Larry Nunez. “They want to [start the car] to stay warm, but they don’t realize that they don’t have the proper ventilation to get rid of that carbon monoxide.”
Nunez said that drivers need to be wary of carbon dioxide.
“It’s invisible,” he said. “Sometimes, when we have fumes coming from a car, sometimes we can see them because they are coming from the warm engine to the outside atmosphere, which is cold. But that carbon dioxide can be dangerous.”
Nunez said that even a small amount of exposure to carbon dioxide could lead to a slight headache, but that it should go away once you are out in fresh air.
Leaving the garage door down and starting a car could be the solution to warming the car up without fear of it being stolen. Nunez said if you warm the car up for a “minute or two” with the door down, you shouldn’t have a problem.
“A few minutes is okay, so long as you get to the outside air.” he said, adding that once you get the garage door open and back the car out “you’ll have fresh air coming in.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food