PHOENIX — Valley car mechanics are seeing an influx of business thanks to the frigid cold temperatures.
“Business increases without fail by over 50% whenever we see extreme cold in the Valley,” said Dave Riccio, co-host of Bumper to Bumper Radio and owner of Tri-City Transmission.
He said transmissions tend to react poorly to cold weather and leaks show up.
“Never ignore a transmission leak. You can take a simple problem and make it much worse by doing this,” Riccio said.
But it’s not necessary to assume the worst if the car drives a bit jerky or feels a little “off.” It might be a case of low transmission fluid levels.
A word of caution, make sure to buy the right type of fluid.
“There are over 30 types of transmission fluid and most retailers don’t know the difference. If in doubt, rather than a costly error, seek a professional,” Riccio said.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever