SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Some Valley homebuyers are settling for a little less land.
RealEstateConsulting.com said that in places like San Diego, homes on mid-sized lots in the 5,000- to 6,900-square-foot range are selling better than lower priced homes on smaller lots and higher priced homes on larger lots.
Here in the Valley, Real Estate expert Dean Wegner said many homebuyers are also opting for mid-sized lots.
Wegner said that people used to buy a house on a big lot, then take out a second mortgage to put something like a pool on that lot, but that’s changed.
“The financing isn’t there anymore,” he said. “Along with it went the dreams of doing these grandiose home improvements. They’re going for the mid-sized homes.”
Wegner said if homebuyers can make a deal with their builder to include a pool, they often get one.
Wegner said he knows first hand that mid-size can be better.
“I used to own a 5,000-square-foot house on an acre, and it ate money,” he said. “Now I live in a 2,500-square-foot house on a medium-sized lot. It works out great.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night