SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Some Valley homebuyers are settling for a little less land.
RealEstateConsulting.com said that in places like San Diego, homes on mid-sized lots in the 5,000- to 6,900-square-foot range are selling better than lower priced homes on smaller lots and higher priced homes on larger lots.
Here in the Valley, Real Estate expert Dean Wegner said many homebuyers are also opting for mid-sized lots.
Wegner said that people used to buy a house on a big lot, then take out a second mortgage to put something like a pool on that lot, but that’s changed.
“The financing isn’t there anymore,” he said. “Along with it went the dreams of doing these grandiose home improvements. They’re going for the mid-sized homes.”
Wegner said if homebuyers can make a deal with their builder to include a pool, they often get one.
Wegner said he knows first hand that mid-size can be better.
“I used to own a 5,000-square-foot house on an acre, and it ate money,” he said. “Now I live in a 2,500-square-foot house on a medium-sized lot. It works out great.”
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee