SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Some Valley homebuyers are settling for a little less land.
RealEstateConsulting.com said that in places like San Diego, homes on mid-sized lots in the 5,000- to 6,900-square-foot range are selling better than lower priced homes on smaller lots and higher priced homes on larger lots.
Here in the Valley, Real Estate expert Dean Wegner said many homebuyers are also opting for mid-sized lots.
Wegner said that people used to buy a house on a big lot, then take out a second mortgage to put something like a pool on that lot, but that’s changed.
“The financing isn’t there anymore,” he said. “Along with it went the dreams of doing these grandiose home improvements. They’re going for the mid-sized homes.”
Wegner said if homebuyers can make a deal with their builder to include a pool, they often get one.
Wegner said he knows first hand that mid-size can be better.
“I used to own a 5,000-square-foot house on an acre, and it ate money,” he said. “Now I live in a 2,500-square-foot house on a medium-sized lot. It works out great.”
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again