SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — A new survey said when it comes to credit cards debt, a lot of people aren’t doing as well as their mom and dad did at their age.
The Ohio State University study said that people born between 1980 and 1984 have an average of over $5,600 more credit card debt than their parents had at their age. They have $8,100 more than their grandparents.
Mike Sullivan of the Take Charge America Credit Counseling Service disagrees.
“Actually, I don’t find Americans in their 20s and 30s having more credit card per se,” he said. “I do find that ones we talked to have more debt than their parents did, but it’s not necessarily credit card debt.”
And, in fact, Sullivan said his experience is that young people have less debt than they did a few years ago.
“The total amount of credit card debt is actually down a little bit, even though the total amount of debt is up,” he said.
Ohio State University Economics Professor Lucia Dunn co-authored the study. She said in a statement to NBC News that “our projections are that the typical credit card holder among younger Americans who keep a balance will die still owing money on their cards.”
While Sullivan does not agree that people in their 20s and 30s have as much credit card debt as their parents and grandparents, he said they are taking longer to pay off their student loans and other debt. He believes that by the time they reach retirement age, they will be deeper in debt than their parents and grandparents are now.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy