PHOENIX – As Sgt. Benito Garcia prepares for deployment to Afghanistan with the Arizona Army National Guard’s 363rd Explosive Ordnance Disposal Company, he said he worries most about the potential for downtime and not being able to help out.
“I know that sounds weird, but in our career field you can’t really be scared,” he said.
Family members, friends and members of the Arizona Patriot Guard Riders were on hand Tuesday for a ceremony honoring Garcia and nine other members of his unit.
They will spend 30 days at Fort Bliss in Texas for the final preparations before heading overseas.
The unit is responsible for safely discovering, removing and disposing of explosive devices for the military and civilians.
All 10 soldiers have already completed one tour overseas and are joining over 500 Arizona Army and Air National Guard members currently serving on active duty.
Garcia was starting his third tour but his first as part of this company.
He was in Iraq in 2003 and 2007 with the Army and California National Guard, respectively. He moved to Arizona because he had family in the state.
Garcia spent nine months in Florida learning how to deactivate explosives.
“Anyone can get a rifle and combat training,” he said. “I wanted to do something harder, something to challenge myself.”
It also was the third deployment for Sgt. Ritz-Tyler Sadang of Scottsdale. His wife, Danielle, said this goodbye is as difficult as the first.
“He was an active duty engineer, now he’s an EOD tech,” she said. “His position kind of moved up on the dangerous chain.”
Maj. Gen. Hugo Salazar, commanding general of the Arizona National Guard, said member of the company are “truly experts in the field.”
“It doesn’t make a difference how big the unit is,” Salazar said during the ceremony. “Everybody needs these guys.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.