SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — About 150 students at the Thunderbird Adventist Academy got a lesson Tuesday that distracted or drunk driving could have serious consequences.
Senior Jacob Nagrette put on goggles that simulate being drunk and a Scottsdale police officer made him “walk the line,” much like he would if had pulled Nagrette over for DUI.
“Everything was really distorted, I couldn’t really tell where I was walking,” said Nagette. “Like, to me, it seemed like I was doing good, but to everyone else, it seemed like I was just swerving all around the lines.”
The students also got behind the wheel of a simulator and tried to drive while texting or making a phone call. Some of them drove so bad that, if it were real life, they would have had an accident and either ended up in the hospital or in jail.
The Eastern Association for Surgery of Trauma sponsored the event.
“Distractions are responsible for over 400,000 crashes per year and many deaths,” said Dr. A. Britton Christmas, a spokesman for the group. “If we can get the message out and prevent these injuries, that’s really the take home message.”
Christmas said it is very important to get this message out in Arizona.
“Because Arizona is one of only 11 states that does not have primary laws against texting and driving, we really see this as an opportunity to come in and get in touch with the students and the community. The reality is that if we’re able to save one life here today, then we’ve more than done our job.”
Many of the students said they will remember this day when they get behind the wheel.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier