MESA, Ariz. — Demand was much higher than the supply at a free flu shot clinic held by the Mesa Fire Department at Mesa High School Monday night.
Firefighters started with 550 doses but quickly ran out.
“We made sure to take care of the babies and elderly first. They are the most vulnerable,” said firefighter Larissa Devorac. “Folks are scared and came out en masse. I’m not surprised by the crowds, but unfortunately we were not able to take care of everybody we wanted to,” she added.
Many left visibly disappointed. Others like Joyce Colelaychee are concerned. She went to the clinic with her daughter and husband but arrived too late.
“I’ve heard that if you haven’t gotten a flu vaccine in a couple years, and you get the flu, it’s going to be 10 times worse,” said Colelaychee.
Influenza activity in the state is widespread, according to the Arizona Department of Health. The most recent numbers indicate there have been more than 2,200 cases, with lab-confirmed cases identified in 14 counties.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night