MESA, Ariz. — Demand was much higher than the supply at a free flu shot clinic held by the Mesa Fire Department at Mesa High School Monday night.
Firefighters started with 550 doses but quickly ran out.
“We made sure to take care of the babies and elderly first. They are the most vulnerable,” said firefighter Larissa Devorac. “Folks are scared and came out en masse. I’m not surprised by the crowds, but unfortunately we were not able to take care of everybody we wanted to,” she added.
Many left visibly disappointed. Others like Joyce Colelaychee are concerned. She went to the clinic with her daughter and husband but arrived too late.
“I’ve heard that if you haven’t gotten a flu vaccine in a couple years, and you get the flu, it’s going to be 10 times worse,” said Colelaychee.
Influenza activity in the state is widespread, according to the Arizona Department of Health. The most recent numbers indicate there have been more than 2,200 cases, with lab-confirmed cases identified in 14 counties.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever