MESA, Ariz. — Demand was much higher than the supply at a free flu shot clinic held by the Mesa Fire Department at Mesa High School Monday night.
Firefighters started with 550 doses but quickly ran out.
“We made sure to take care of the babies and elderly first. They are the most vulnerable,” said firefighter Larissa Devorac. “Folks are scared and came out en masse. I’m not surprised by the crowds, but unfortunately we were not able to take care of everybody we wanted to,” she added.
Many left visibly disappointed. Others like Joyce Colelaychee are concerned. She went to the clinic with her daughter and husband but arrived too late.
“I’ve heard that if you haven’t gotten a flu vaccine in a couple years, and you get the flu, it’s going to be 10 times worse,” said Colelaychee.
Influenza activity in the state is widespread, according to the Arizona Department of Health. The most recent numbers indicate there have been more than 2,200 cases, with lab-confirmed cases identified in 14 counties.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food