Arizona Sec. of State Ken Bennett released the following statement Monday following Gov. Jan Brewer’s State of the State address.
It has not been altered in any way.
“I was pleased to hear Governor Brewer’s renewed call for fiscal discipline in today’s state of the state message,” said Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett. “Nearly four years ago, the governor and legislature implemented a plan that successfully dealt with an unprecedented budget shortfall that was unlike anything we’ve experienced in our state’s history.
“Now, Arizona is at a critical juncture as we continue to maintain fiscal stability and economic growth. Over the coming months, the legislature will face significant decreases in revenue as the temporary sales tax increase expires and federal stimulus dollars run out. How the legislature allocates the state’s limited amount of resources will determine the course of our short-term and long-term economic future.
“Pro-growth strategies and a positive atmosphere for growth will be vital to Arizona’s resurgence. So many of our young people are looking for satisfying careers, not just jobs. We must make it easier for them to find fulfilling long-term professions that provide a good living for their families. Our future depends on it.
“While economic concerns are Arizona’s number one priority, our office is also exploring opportunities to enhance our system of elections. From early ballot processing to initiative petitions, we are meeting with state legislators and the elections community to identify areas where we can make improvements. Our goal is to have the best system of elections in the world and I’m confident we will take more steps toward that goal during the 51st legislative session.”
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain