Arizona Sec. of State Ken Bennett released the following statement Monday following Gov. Jan Brewer’s State of the State address.
It has not been altered in any way.
“I was pleased to hear Governor Brewer’s renewed call for fiscal discipline in today’s state of the state message,” said Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett. “Nearly four years ago, the governor and legislature implemented a plan that successfully dealt with an unprecedented budget shortfall that was unlike anything we’ve experienced in our state’s history.
“Now, Arizona is at a critical juncture as we continue to maintain fiscal stability and economic growth. Over the coming months, the legislature will face significant decreases in revenue as the temporary sales tax increase expires and federal stimulus dollars run out. How the legislature allocates the state’s limited amount of resources will determine the course of our short-term and long-term economic future.
“Pro-growth strategies and a positive atmosphere for growth will be vital to Arizona’s resurgence. So many of our young people are looking for satisfying careers, not just jobs. We must make it easier for them to find fulfilling long-term professions that provide a good living for their families. Our future depends on it.
“While economic concerns are Arizona’s number one priority, our office is also exploring opportunities to enhance our system of elections. From early ballot processing to initiative petitions, we are meeting with state legislators and the elections community to identify areas where we can make improvements. Our goal is to have the best system of elections in the world and I’m confident we will take more steps toward that goal during the 51st legislative session.”
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life