PHOENIX — Last week, the owners of the Greer Lodge closed the lodge for good.
The lodge’s owner, Doug Sandahl, told the Arizona Republic that “revenues plummeted and our expenses soared” following a May 2011 arson fire that destroyed the lodge.
No arrests have been made.
Sandahl, who has owned the resort since 2004, said he decided to close because rebuilding the lodge to code would have been too costly.
But the lodge’s 50 cabins were undamaged in 2011 by both the arson fire and the Wallow fire and are now for sale, according to the lodge website.
On Friday, Greer realtor Tom Tilford sent out an e-mail — recipients included subscribers to the resort’s newsletter — announcing that the cabins are being sold individually at prices that are below market value.
The e-mail said that the cabins range in size from 500 to 8,000-square feet. A restaurant, a motel, a retreat center, and vacant land associated with the Lodge are also for sale. Tilford’s e-mail did not reveal the asking prices.
Tilford has not returned repeated requests for comment.
Valley real estate expert Dean Wegner said this buy could be a great investment.
“I think you’re going to get a deeply discounted property in a great area,” Wegner said. “It’s a really good play.”
Wegner did not have information on the prices of these cabins but said he has seen cabins in the area going for $75,000-$150,000.
He believes home values in Greer could jump 35 percent within the next two years. Greer is located some 200 miles east of Phoenix.
Wegner had some advice for any potential buyers who might be concerned about fire damage. He said before buying “Go up there, kick the tires, check out the area, and feel it. If it feels right, it’s going to be a good play.”
HomeFinder.com includes a community information section that claims that 68.7 percent of all of the homes in Greer are unoccupied.
“There’s a lot of vacant properties, but as Warren Buffet says, ‘You buy when everyone is selling, and you sell when everyone is buying,’ ” said Wegner.
Wegner said looking to buy a weekend getaway, there could also be good buys in Payson and Prescott.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon