PHOENIX — The case focuses on feet and fish, specifically, tiny carp with no teeth that nibble off dead skin.
Cindy Vong offered the “spa fish” pedicure at her East Valley salon until the state cosmetology board forced her to stop.
According to state rules, any pedicure tool or equipment must be disinfected and placed in dry storage. You can’t do that with fish, but Vong’s attorneys say she protected customers by cleaning their feet first and sanitizing the tanks after each use.
Vong is being represented by the Goldwater Institute, which argues the entrepreneur is being saddled with irrational and arbitrary regulations. The fish pedicures are legal in several states while more than ten have banned the practice.
The trial gets underway Monday morning at Maricopa County Superior Court and is expected to last two days.
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain