PHOENIX — As if shin splints weren’t enough to worry about, runners getting ready for the P.F. Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon are worried about catching the flu.
Arizona Department of Health has reported that the flu in Arizona is widespread, which is the highest category possible.
“Three to six months preparing for an event, of course they’re going to be worried about it,” said Rob Wallack, owner and founder of Runner’s Den, a Phoenix-based runners and walkers store.
“We are all reading it in the papers and hearing it in the news that it’s hit Phoenix and Arizona really hard.”
According to doctors, influenza is a serious viral illness with symptoms similar to the common cold. However, the flu comes on quickly and is more physically draining. For most people, the best care is to stay home, rest and drink plenty of fluids. For others, especially those with underlying conditions, it can be more severe.
“I think people should have less contact with others, a little less shaking hands, a little less closeness the last week,” said Wallack. “I’m not telling people to be paranoid, but after spending so much time training, the common sense things you can do the last week will probably go a long way,” he added.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy