PHOENIX — As if shin splints weren’t enough to worry about, runners getting ready for the P.F. Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon are worried about catching the flu.
Arizona Department of Health has reported that the flu in Arizona is widespread, which is the highest category possible.
“Three to six months preparing for an event, of course they’re going to be worried about it,” said Rob Wallack, owner and founder of Runner’s Den, a Phoenix-based runners and walkers store.
“We are all reading it in the papers and hearing it in the news that it’s hit Phoenix and Arizona really hard.”
According to doctors, influenza is a serious viral illness with symptoms similar to the common cold. However, the flu comes on quickly and is more physically draining. For most people, the best care is to stay home, rest and drink plenty of fluids. For others, especially those with underlying conditions, it can be more severe.
“I think people should have less contact with others, a little less shaking hands, a little less closeness the last week,” said Wallack. “I’m not telling people to be paranoid, but after spending so much time training, the common sense things you can do the last week will probably go a long way,” he added.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes