PHOENIX — As if shin splints weren’t enough to worry about, runners getting ready for the P.F. Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon are worried about catching the flu.
Arizona Department of Health has reported that the flu in Arizona is widespread, which is the highest category possible.
“Three to six months preparing for an event, of course they’re going to be worried about it,” said Rob Wallack, owner and founder of Runner’s Den, a Phoenix-based runners and walkers store.
“We are all reading it in the papers and hearing it in the news that it’s hit Phoenix and Arizona really hard.”
According to doctors, influenza is a serious viral illness with symptoms similar to the common cold. However, the flu comes on quickly and is more physically draining. For most people, the best care is to stay home, rest and drink plenty of fluids. For others, especially those with underlying conditions, it can be more severe.
“I think people should have less contact with others, a little less shaking hands, a little less closeness the last week,” said Wallack. “I’m not telling people to be paranoid, but after spending so much time training, the common sense things you can do the last week will probably go a long way,” he added.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America