Saturday is the final night of 2012’s Glendale Glitters display, but 2013 may be left in the dark.
Outgoing Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs said last year that the city’s approval of a $320 million arena lease agreement with the Phoenix Coyotes means the city may not be able to afford Glendale Glitters and an annual Chocolate festival.
It’ll be up to the new mayor and city council to find money in the budget to keep the popular festival going. Glendale Public Information Officer Kim Larson said they could take up the issue when a budget is presented in March.
“Once they are in office and get to know the city a little bit more and the operations and what’s going on, they’ll have the opportunity, as we start our budget process, to have input on it,” she said. “We’ll see what happens.”
As of right now, Larson said it’s business as usual.
“Right now, we are proceeding with planning next year’s lineup of festivals including Glendale Glitters and the Chocolate Affair,” she said. “As we speak, that’s the plan. I can’t tell what will happen in the future.”
Larson said the city is hosting a Glitter and Glow Block Party on Saturday from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. to mark the closing of Glendale Glitter 2012.
The annual event features 1.5 million holiday lights in downtown Glendale.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon