Saturday is the final night of 2012’s Glendale Glitters display, but 2013 may be left in the dark.
Outgoing Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs said last year that the city’s approval of a $320 million arena lease agreement with the Phoenix Coyotes means the city may not be able to afford Glendale Glitters and an annual Chocolate festival.
It’ll be up to the new mayor and city council to find money in the budget to keep the popular festival going. Glendale Public Information Officer Kim Larson said they could take up the issue when a budget is presented in March.
“Once they are in office and get to know the city a little bit more and the operations and what’s going on, they’ll have the opportunity, as we start our budget process, to have input on it,” she said. “We’ll see what happens.”
As of right now, Larson said it’s business as usual.
“Right now, we are proceeding with planning next year’s lineup of festivals including Glendale Glitters and the Chocolate Affair,” she said. “As we speak, that’s the plan. I can’t tell what will happen in the future.”
Larson said the city is hosting a Glitter and Glow Block Party on Saturday from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. to mark the closing of Glendale Glitter 2012.
The annual event features 1.5 million holiday lights in downtown Glendale.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier