PHOENIX — A Valley homeless shelter is gearing up for the frigid weather forecast for Arizona over the next few days.
Cold snaps like this one are a busy time for Central Arizona Shelter Services. The staff is expecting more homeless to show up at the shelter, near 13th Avenue and Madison Street.
“We’ll see people that are homeless come in from the streets because [the cold] is just too much for them,” said Irene Agustin, director of fund development for the shelter. “So what we do is open additional beds.”
The shelter normally beds about 670 people a night but Agustin said with the cold weather, she’s anticipating around 800 for at least the next few nights.
“In opening our relief shelter, there’s obviously manpower involved in having extra staff laying out the extra mattresses and that sort of thing,” Agustin said.
She said the shelter could use volunteers for those tasks and others and that financial donations are always accepted.
CASS will be working with Phoenix police and other agencies to try to get the homeless out of the cold. But Agustin admits that some people will refuse the help.
“They’re reluctant to come,” Agustin said. “For some, there’s mental health issues. Some have had run-ins with the law and just don’t want to mess with it. Some are loners.”
Agustin said those who elect to stay outside will be given a blanket.
The shelter is located at 230 S. 12th Avenue and the telephone number is (602) 417-9800.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.