PHOENIX — A Valley homeless shelter is gearing up for the frigid weather forecast for Arizona over the next few days.
Cold snaps like this one are a busy time for Central Arizona Shelter Services. The staff is expecting more homeless to show up at the shelter, near 13th Avenue and Madison Street.
“We’ll see people that are homeless come in from the streets because [the cold] is just too much for them,” said Irene Agustin, director of fund development for the shelter. “So what we do is open additional beds.”
The shelter normally beds about 670 people a night but Agustin said with the cold weather, she’s anticipating around 800 for at least the next few nights.
“In opening our relief shelter, there’s obviously manpower involved in having extra staff laying out the extra mattresses and that sort of thing,” Agustin said.
She said the shelter could use volunteers for those tasks and others and that financial donations are always accepted.
CASS will be working with Phoenix police and other agencies to try to get the homeless out of the cold. But Agustin admits that some people will refuse the help.
“They’re reluctant to come,” Agustin said. “For some, there’s mental health issues. Some have had run-ins with the law and just don’t want to mess with it. Some are loners.”
Agustin said those who elect to stay outside will be given a blanket.
The shelter is located at 230 S. 12th Avenue and the telephone number is (602) 417-9800.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them