PHOENIX — A Valley homeless shelter is gearing up for the frigid weather forecast for Arizona over the next few days.
Cold snaps like this one are a busy time for Central Arizona Shelter Services. The staff is expecting more homeless to show up at the shelter, near 13th Avenue and Madison Street.
“We’ll see people that are homeless come in from the streets because [the cold] is just too much for them,” said Irene Agustin, director of fund development for the shelter. “So what we do is open additional beds.”
The shelter normally beds about 670 people a night but Agustin said with the cold weather, she’s anticipating around 800 for at least the next few nights.
“In opening our relief shelter, there’s obviously manpower involved in having extra staff laying out the extra mattresses and that sort of thing,” Agustin said.
She said the shelter could use volunteers for those tasks and others and that financial donations are always accepted.
CASS will be working with Phoenix police and other agencies to try to get the homeless out of the cold. But Agustin admits that some people will refuse the help.
“They’re reluctant to come,” Agustin said. “For some, there’s mental health issues. Some have had run-ins with the law and just don’t want to mess with it. Some are loners.”
Agustin said those who elect to stay outside will be given a blanket.
The shelter is located at 230 S. 12th Avenue and the telephone number is (602) 417-9800.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development