GILBERT, Ariz. — There is a new addition to the Gilbert Fire Department.
Spring, a 2-year-old labrador retriever, has undergone weeks of training at the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives (ATF) Canine Training and Operations Support Branch in Front Royal, Virginia.
Spring specializes in detecting accelerants used to start incendiary fires, according to information provided by the department.
Her expertise is invaluable.
“It’s huge, I mean arson is a very high crime. It’s a Class 2 felony, just under murder,” said David Zehring, Spring’s partner and handler.
Spring and Zehring are the only certified ATF K-9 Accelerant Detection team in the state. The pair is also part of the ATF National Response Team.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain