A 10-year-old boy was abandoned for a short time by his mother during a human smuggling arrest on Thursday, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
The boy was in a van with 12 other people when MCSO deputies attempted to make a traffic stop. The driver fled a short distance at a high rate of speed before coming to a halt. The driver, another passenger and the boy’s mother attempted to flee on foot. All were quickly apprehended.
Deputies learned 12 people, all Mexican nationals, had paid a smuggler between $1,400 and $4,000 each to be smuggled into the country. Their final destinations were scattered across the country.
Ten suspected illegal immigrants were booked into the Fourth Avenue Jail. Three, including the boy and his mother, were turned over to Immigrations and Customs Enforcement.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them