A 10-year-old boy was abandoned for a short time by his mother during a human smuggling arrest on Thursday, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
The boy was in a van with 12 other people when MCSO deputies attempted to make a traffic stop. The driver fled a short distance at a high rate of speed before coming to a halt. The driver, another passenger and the boy’s mother attempted to flee on foot. All were quickly apprehended.
Deputies learned 12 people, all Mexican nationals, had paid a smuggler between $1,400 and $4,000 each to be smuggled into the country. Their final destinations were scattered across the country.
Ten suspected illegal immigrants were booked into the Fourth Avenue Jail. Three, including the boy and his mother, were turned over to Immigrations and Customs Enforcement.
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain