A 10-year-old boy was abandoned for a short time by his mother during a human smuggling arrest on Thursday, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
The boy was in a van with 12 other people when MCSO deputies attempted to make a traffic stop. The driver fled a short distance at a high rate of speed before coming to a halt. The driver, another passenger and the boy’s mother attempted to flee on foot. All were quickly apprehended.
Deputies learned 12 people, all Mexican nationals, had paid a smuggler between $1,400 and $4,000 each to be smuggled into the country. Their final destinations were scattered across the country.
Ten suspected illegal immigrants were booked into the Fourth Avenue Jail. Three, including the boy and his mother, were turned over to Immigrations and Customs Enforcement.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development