PHOENIX — As 49-year-old sheriff’s deputy Ruben Garcia remains hopsitalized in intensive care after a shooting, the dangers of his job have hit home with his family.
“Up till today we never really took in mind the risks that my brother has gone through and all … fellow officers that work with him,” said older brother Alifonzo Garcia on Wednesday.
“We want everybody to know we’re deeply touched with everybody’s concern.”
Ruben Garcia was shot early Tuesday as he approached a pickup truck near 83rd Avenue and Deer Valley Road in Peoria. He was responding to a call from a woman reporting her ex-boyfriend was threatening her and himself.
The suspect, Donald Miller, 54, of Peoria, took off, but police quickly caught him. Miller died in his truck. It’s unclear whether he shot himself or died during a shootout with deputies.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon