PHOENIX — As 49-year-old sheriff’s deputy Ruben Garcia remains hopsitalized in intensive care after a shooting, the dangers of his job have hit home with his family.
“Up till today we never really took in mind the risks that my brother has gone through and all … fellow officers that work with him,” said older brother Alifonzo Garcia on Wednesday.
“We want everybody to know we’re deeply touched with everybody’s concern.”
Ruben Garcia was shot early Tuesday as he approached a pickup truck near 83rd Avenue and Deer Valley Road in Peoria. He was responding to a call from a woman reporting her ex-boyfriend was threatening her and himself.
The suspect, Donald Miller, 54, of Peoria, took off, but police quickly caught him. Miller died in his truck. It’s unclear whether he shot himself or died during a shootout with deputies.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains