PHOENIX — Crank up the heat: It’s going to be plenty cold in the Valley this weekend.
Weather analysts are forecasting four days of freezing temperatures, starting Saturday night, running through Tuesday. The last time the Valley had four straight sub-freezing mornings was 25 years ago.
Rain also is expected to arrive between 9 p.m. and midnight Thursday.
Chris Kuhlman with the National Weather Service
said it will be a struggle to reach 50 degrees Friday.
“It will be very cold. Some areas will see the mid-20s for lows,” Kuhlman said. “Other areas will be right at the freezing mark and below. This is a very large system coming off the north Pacific and very cold.
“Right now it’s going across California and then we have a reinforcing shot of cold air coming down from western Canada on Sunday and that will keep our area temperatures about 15 degrees below normal.”
The cold blast cold wreak havoc with gardens. Give plants and trees a good deep watering beforehand — that will help them fend off the cold.
Protect trees with cotton sheets, not vinyl or tarps. Stop by a thrift store and pick some up sheets on the cheap. Cover citrus trees from crown to ground. Pin together the sheets to get the job done.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl