PHOENIX — Crank up the heat: It’s going to be plenty cold in the Valley this weekend.
Weather analysts are forecasting four days of freezing temperatures, starting Saturday night, running through Tuesday. The last time the Valley had four straight sub-freezing mornings was 25 years ago.
Rain also is expected to arrive between 9 p.m. and midnight Thursday.
Chris Kuhlman with the National Weather Service
said it will be a struggle to reach 50 degrees Friday.
“It will be very cold. Some areas will see the mid-20s for lows,” Kuhlman said. “Other areas will be right at the freezing mark and below. This is a very large system coming off the north Pacific and very cold.
“Right now it’s going across California and then we have a reinforcing shot of cold air coming down from western Canada on Sunday and that will keep our area temperatures about 15 degrees below normal.”
The cold blast cold wreak havoc with gardens. Give plants and trees a good deep watering beforehand — that will help them fend off the cold.
Protect trees with cotton sheets, not vinyl or tarps. Stop by a thrift store and pick some up sheets on the cheap. Cover citrus trees from crown to ground. Pin together the sheets to get the job done.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon