A Guadalupe leader said his town does not want Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s volunteer posse to patrol schools in his city.
Coucilmember Andrew Sanchez said the armed posse members are underqualified and may present a threat to the town.
“We cannot track them,” he said. “We cannot hold them accountable for issues. If they decide to go out and commit crimes against our children, what are we going to do?”
Sanchez said Arpaio and his deputies have raised numerous controversial issues, including abuse of authority, racial profiling and tampering with evidence.
“We feel this is not the time or place for political posturing,” he added.
Arpaio was quick to fire back against Sanchez’s statments.
“He’s using the politics,” said Arpaio. “He’s trying to throw in the racial allegations into this program and that is sickening. That is sickening for him to use kids and teachers for political reasons.”
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever