A Guadalupe leader said his town does not want Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s volunteer posse to patrol schools in his city.
Coucilmember Andrew Sanchez said the armed posse members are underqualified and may present a threat to the town.
“We cannot track them,” he said. “We cannot hold them accountable for issues. If they decide to go out and commit crimes against our children, what are we going to do?”
Sanchez said Arpaio and his deputies have raised numerous controversial issues, including abuse of authority, racial profiling and tampering with evidence.
“We feel this is not the time or place for political posturing,” he added.
Arpaio was quick to fire back against Sanchez’s statments.
“He’s using the politics,” said Arpaio. “He’s trying to throw in the racial allegations into this program and that is sickening. That is sickening for him to use kids and teachers for political reasons.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon