A Guadalupe leader said his town does not want Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s volunteer posse to patrol schools in his city.
Coucilmember Andrew Sanchez said the armed posse members are underqualified and may present a threat to the town.
“We cannot track them,” he said. “We cannot hold them accountable for issues. If they decide to go out and commit crimes against our children, what are we going to do?”
Sanchez said Arpaio and his deputies have raised numerous controversial issues, including abuse of authority, racial profiling and tampering with evidence.
“We feel this is not the time or place for political posturing,” he added.
Arpaio was quick to fire back against Sanchez’s statments.
“He’s using the politics,” said Arpaio. “He’s trying to throw in the racial allegations into this program and that is sickening. That is sickening for him to use kids and teachers for political reasons.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier