While only seven percent of Americans surveyed in a recent poll mentioned cancer as a consequence of obesity, local experts emphasize that the link between obesity and cancer is real.
Obesity, which is a body mass index of 30 or above, has been associated with a greater risk of developing several types of cancer, according to Dr. James Swain, a bariatric surgeon at Scottsdale Healthcare Bariatric Center.
“There are several potential medical reasons, including the fact that fat tissue produces extra estrogen and high estrogen levels have been correlated with greater risk of endometrial, breast and other cancers,” he said.
Obese individuals also frequently have high levels of insulin in their bloodstreams, which may encourage the development of some tumors, Swain added.
Other possible factors include that obese individuals frequently have ongoing, low-level inflammation, which has been linked to increased cancer risk.
Individuals who are obese may be able to lower their cancer risk through bariatric surgery. The National Institutes of Health, which is part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, points to studies showing that obese individuals who undergo weight-loss surgery have lower rates of obesity-related cancer than obese individuals who do not have bariatric surgery.
Scottsdale Healthcare Bariatric Center, designated a Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, offers free public seminars on bariatric surgery. Details and seminar registration are at bariatricsurgeryaz.com.
The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll was conducted in late November and early December.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets