While only seven percent of Americans surveyed in a recent poll mentioned cancer as a consequence of obesity, local experts emphasize that the link between obesity and cancer is real.
Obesity, which is a body mass index of 30 or above, has been associated with a greater risk of developing several types of cancer, according to Dr. James Swain, a bariatric surgeon at Scottsdale Healthcare Bariatric Center.
“There are several potential medical reasons, including the fact that fat tissue produces extra estrogen and high estrogen levels have been correlated with greater risk of endometrial, breast and other cancers,” he said.
Obese individuals also frequently have high levels of insulin in their bloodstreams, which may encourage the development of some tumors, Swain added.
Other possible factors include that obese individuals frequently have ongoing, low-level inflammation, which has been linked to increased cancer risk.
Individuals who are obese may be able to lower their cancer risk through bariatric surgery. The National Institutes of Health, which is part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, points to studies showing that obese individuals who undergo weight-loss surgery have lower rates of obesity-related cancer than obese individuals who do not have bariatric surgery.
Scottsdale Healthcare Bariatric Center, designated a Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, offers free public seminars on bariatric surgery. Details and seminar registration are at bariatricsurgeryaz.com.
The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll was conducted in late November and early December.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier