PHOENIX — When it comes to preventing mass shootings, more gun laws are only part of the solution, said Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton.
The City of Phoenix wants educators to have better training on spotting a mental illness that might cause someone to start a shooting spree.
“I’ll be announcing in the next six to eight weeks a program where the city will be much more involved in supporting mental health education for educators,” he said. “We get that that exact issue is going on. I want to make sure that we’re doing it right before we announce anything, but we’re definitely heading in that direction.”
Stanton said he’s proud of former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly, who introduced the Americans For Responsible Solutions iniative, which will raise money to “balance the issue of the gun lobby” when it comes to gun control laws.
But Stanton said that more responsible gun laws are just part of the solution to keeping people safe.
“The reality is that it has to be a multifaceted approach, including new laws dealing with gun violence, including more support for mental health.”
Stanton also supports having more school resource officers at Phoenix schools.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night