PHOENIX — When it comes to preventing mass shootings, more gun laws are only part of the solution, said Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton.
The City of Phoenix wants educators to have better training on spotting a mental illness that might cause someone to start a shooting spree.
“I’ll be announcing in the next six to eight weeks a program where the city will be much more involved in supporting mental health education for educators,” he said. “We get that that exact issue is going on. I want to make sure that we’re doing it right before we announce anything, but we’re definitely heading in that direction.”
Stanton said he’s proud of former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly, who introduced the Americans For Responsible Solutions iniative, which will raise money to “balance the issue of the gun lobby” when it comes to gun control laws.
But Stanton said that more responsible gun laws are just part of the solution to keeping people safe.
“The reality is that it has to be a multifaceted approach, including new laws dealing with gun violence, including more support for mental health.”
Stanton also supports having more school resource officers at Phoenix schools.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life