PHOENIX — When it comes to preventing mass shootings, more gun laws are only part of the solution, said Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton.
The City of Phoenix wants educators to have better training on spotting a mental illness that might cause someone to start a shooting spree.
“I’ll be announcing in the next six to eight weeks a program where the city will be much more involved in supporting mental health education for educators,” he said. “We get that that exact issue is going on. I want to make sure that we’re doing it right before we announce anything, but we’re definitely heading in that direction.”
Stanton said he’s proud of former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly, who introduced the Americans For Responsible Solutions iniative, which will raise money to “balance the issue of the gun lobby” when it comes to gun control laws.
But Stanton said that more responsible gun laws are just part of the solution to keeping people safe.
“The reality is that it has to be a multifaceted approach, including new laws dealing with gun violence, including more support for mental health.”
Stanton also supports having more school resource officers at Phoenix schools.
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise