PHOENIX — When it comes to preventing mass shootings, more gun laws are only part of the solution, said Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton.
The City of Phoenix wants educators to have better training on spotting a mental illness that might cause someone to start a shooting spree.
“I’ll be announcing in the next six to eight weeks a program where the city will be much more involved in supporting mental health education for educators,” he said. “We get that that exact issue is going on. I want to make sure that we’re doing it right before we announce anything, but we’re definitely heading in that direction.”
Stanton said he’s proud of former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly, who introduced the Americans For Responsible Solutions iniative, which will raise money to “balance the issue of the gun lobby” when it comes to gun control laws.
But Stanton said that more responsible gun laws are just part of the solution to keeping people safe.
“The reality is that it has to be a multifaceted approach, including new laws dealing with gun violence, including more support for mental health.”
Stanton also supports having more school resource officers at Phoenix schools.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick