Phoenix — House Minority leader Chad Campbell said it is time for an adult conversation and real solutions when it comes to keeping children safe at school.
Campbell (D-Phoenix) outlined several proposals he will push during the upcoming legislative session, which begins Monday.
Campbell will ask lawmakers for $100 million to put more resource officers, mental health counselors, and technology such as video surveillance on campuses.
“I hope today is the beginning of a rational conversation around this,” he said.
Campbell opposes the idea of arming teachers in the schools.
Andrew Morrill with the Arizona Education Association backs Campbell’s proposal.
“You don’t reduce campus violence in Arizona or anywhere else by increasing firearms on campus.”
Campbell announced that he will also push for tighter gun measures. He would like to see mandatory background checks at gun shows and stricter measures to keep those who are mentally ill from having access to weapons.
“The gun show loophole has been allowed to exist for far too long and there’s no rationale to defend it any longer.
“Once someone has been … evaluated and found to be mentally ill, they can’t buy a weapon or get the weapon back until they have been deemed no longer a threat.”
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona