Phoenix — House Minority leader Chad Campbell said it is time for an adult conversation and real solutions when it comes to keeping children safe at school.
Campbell (D-Phoenix) outlined several proposals he will push during the upcoming legislative session, which begins Monday.
Campbell will ask lawmakers for $100 million to put more resource officers, mental health counselors, and technology such as video surveillance on campuses.
“I hope today is the beginning of a rational conversation around this,” he said.
Campbell opposes the idea of arming teachers in the schools.
Andrew Morrill with the Arizona Education Association backs Campbell’s proposal.
“You don’t reduce campus violence in Arizona or anywhere else by increasing firearms on campus.”
Campbell announced that he will also push for tighter gun measures. He would like to see mandatory background checks at gun shows and stricter measures to keep those who are mentally ill from having access to weapons.
“The gun show loophole has been allowed to exist for far too long and there’s no rationale to defend it any longer.
“Once someone has been … evaluated and found to be mentally ill, they can’t buy a weapon or get the weapon back until they have been deemed no longer a threat.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns