Phoenix — House Minority leader Chad Campbell said it is time for an adult conversation and real solutions when it comes to keeping children safe at school.
Campbell (D-Phoenix) outlined several proposals he will push during the upcoming legislative session, which begins Monday.
Campbell will ask lawmakers for $100 million to put more resource officers, mental health counselors, and technology such as video surveillance on campuses.
“I hope today is the beginning of a rational conversation around this,” he said.
Campbell opposes the idea of arming teachers in the schools.
Andrew Morrill with the Arizona Education Association backs Campbell’s proposal.
“You don’t reduce campus violence in Arizona or anywhere else by increasing firearms on campus.”
Campbell announced that he will also push for tighter gun measures. He would like to see mandatory background checks at gun shows and stricter measures to keep those who are mentally ill from having access to weapons.
“The gun show loophole has been allowed to exist for far too long and there’s no rationale to defend it any longer.
“Once someone has been … evaluated and found to be mentally ill, they can’t buy a weapon or get the weapon back until they have been deemed no longer a threat.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon