PHOENIX — Interstate 10 was reopened Wednesday after a rollover accident that spilled an ‘odorous’ waste across the roadway.
A tanker truck rear-ended a passenger vehicle and rolled over. The driver was trapped inside the truck, which was carrying kitchen waste fluids.
“It’s a pumper truck that was hauling restaurant kitchen waste,” said Bart Grave with the Arizona Department of Public Safety. “What’s leaking is the actual kitchen waste residue on to the freeway, so it’s not a hazardous material spill, but it is quite odorous.”
The driver was extracted and taken to the hospital. The passenger of the car was also trapped for about 30 minutes and was hospitalized. Both are expected to make a full recovery.
All westbound lanes were blocked. Traffic was diverted to State Route 143. The SR 143 ramp to westbound I-10 and the University ramp to westbound I-10 were also closed.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains