PHOENIX — One Tempe school district is balking at Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne’s idea that at least one school employee should carry a gun to protect against a shooting on campus.
Kyrene schools assistant superintendent Gina Taylor said the district isn’t thrilled with a principal, teacher or any other school worker carrying a gun.
“We aren’t extremely comfortable with the notion of other staff being armed because of the training that’s required in order to do that effectively,” she said, adding that having an armed school resource officer (SRO) who has extensive gun training is a better idea.
SROs are nothing new in the Kyrene School District.
“We’ve had and have three school resources now, and have had them on our campuses for years,” said Taylor, who is the district’s crisis team leader.
Taylor said the district has started a new security policy at schools since the Connecticut school shootings.
“We, in the past, have always had visitors sign in to be on our campuses and we’ve given them visitor’s badges,” she said. “What we’re now requiring is that they present a photo ID and exchange that for their visitor’s badge, which requires them to come back through the office [to get their ID] as they leave the campus.”
Taylor said that, while the new system won’t prevent something like a mass shooting, it will help the schools keep better track of who is on school property and why they are there.
Kyrene District spokeswoman Nancy Dudenhoefer believes guns aren’t the only thing that people should be talking about when it comes to school security.
“It very much concerns me that everyone is talking about guns, and no one is talking about mental illness,” she said. “I do believe that we, as schools, have provided, obviously, some sort of support in that area because the children who are doing these crimes are the ones who are out of the school system. I want to know why no one is touching that story?”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food