PHOENIX — Flagstaff is seeing more out-of-town visitors this year looking for fun in the snow.
Almost 50,000 people have taken a run on the Snowbowl slopes since Dec. 17, up almost 20 percent from last year. The resort said their new snowmaking equipment is behind the boost.
Joanne Hudson with the Flagstaff Convention & Visitors Bureau said its a great start to 2013.
“It has been busier in town,” she said. “Our restaurants and hotels are seeing that impact. It’s great.”
The interest in Flagstaff’s snow play areas, which include Wing Mountain Sledding Area, doesn’t just come from the Valley. It’s international.
“We get a fair number of visitors come up from Mexico because this is the closest ski destination,” said Hudson.
Hudson said Flagstaff’s tourism economy has returned to near pre-recession levels.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains