PHOENIX — Flagstaff is seeing more out-of-town visitors this year looking for fun in the snow.
Almost 50,000 people have taken a run on the Snowbowl slopes since Dec. 17, up almost 20 percent from last year. The resort said their new snowmaking equipment is behind the boost.
Joanne Hudson with the Flagstaff Convention & Visitors Bureau said its a great start to 2013.
“It has been busier in town,” she said. “Our restaurants and hotels are seeing that impact. It’s great.”
The interest in Flagstaff’s snow play areas, which include Wing Mountain Sledding Area, doesn’t just come from the Valley. It’s international.
“We get a fair number of visitors come up from Mexico because this is the closest ski destination,” said Hudson.
Hudson said Flagstaff’s tourism economy has returned to near pre-recession levels.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food