PHOENIX — Flagstaff is seeing more out-of-town visitors this year looking for fun in the snow.
Almost 50,000 people have taken a run on the Snowbowl slopes since Dec. 17, up almost 20 percent from last year. The resort said their new snowmaking equipment is behind the boost.
Joanne Hudson with the Flagstaff Convention & Visitors Bureau said its a great start to 2013.
“It has been busier in town,” she said. “Our restaurants and hotels are seeing that impact. It’s great.”
The interest in Flagstaff’s snow play areas, which include Wing Mountain Sledding Area, doesn’t just come from the Valley. It’s international.
“We get a fair number of visitors come up from Mexico because this is the closest ski destination,” said Hudson.
Hudson said Flagstaff’s tourism economy has returned to near pre-recession levels.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona