A woman was forced to give birth Tuesday on a Valley freeway due to a traffic jam.
Fire officials said the woman was on Interstate 10 at 43rd Ave. about 7 a.m. when her friend, who was driving the vehicle, came to a stop in traffic. The woman’s friend managed to flag down a DPS officer that was investigating an accident.
Phoenix firefighter and paramedic, Troy Holtorf, was first on scene.
“We loaded her in the back of the ambulance and we hadn’t driven all but 500 feet. The head came out and next thing you know there’s a baby,” he said, smiling.
Holtorf had the privilege of cutting the cord, separating the woman from her baby girl.
“I don’t have kids of my own, but it’s pretty neat to experience that,” he saod.
The woman and the child are reportedly doing well.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths