A woman was forced to give birth Tuesday on a Valley freeway due to a traffic jam.
Fire officials said the woman was on Interstate 10 at 43rd Ave. about 7 a.m. when her friend, who was driving the vehicle, came to a stop in traffic. The woman’s friend managed to flag down a DPS officer that was investigating an accident.
Phoenix firefighter and paramedic, Troy Holtorf, was first on scene.
“We loaded her in the back of the ambulance and we hadn’t driven all but 500 feet. The head came out and next thing you know there’s a baby,” he said, smiling.
Holtorf had the privilege of cutting the cord, separating the woman from her baby girl.
“I don’t have kids of my own, but it’s pretty neat to experience that,” he saod.
The woman and the child are reportedly doing well.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes