PHOENIX — Some of America’s veterans were looking for work in Phoenix on Tuesday.
Army veteran Shawn Brown has been out of work for three years and needs a job.
“Any kind of paying job,” he said. “Any kind.” Brown said he was a military police officer and is looking for security work.
Brown is one of 300 military veterans who showed up at an American Legion Post for a job fair put on Hiring Our Heroes. The group is on a national campaign with a goal of getting 500,000 veterans back on the job by 2014. General Electric, Verizon, and First Command are among the companies that interviewed candidates at Tuesday’s fair.
Hiring Our Heroes Western Regional Associate Virginia Carpenter said a workshop was offered giving the veterans tips on how to better market their skills.
“Because a lot of companies don’t know how to translate what the veterans did into civilian terms, and a lot of the veterans don’t know how to translate their military training into civilian terms as well” [to show how their talents are best suited for the company],” she said.
The group hosts job fairs for veterans all over the country. The next Arizona event is scheduled for March 6 in Flagstaff. Carpenter said they are also hoping to put on another job fair in Phoenix on April 25.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night