PHOENIX — Some of America’s veterans were looking for work in Phoenix on Tuesday.
Army veteran Shawn Brown has been out of work for three years and needs a job.
“Any kind of paying job,” he said. “Any kind.” Brown said he was a military police officer and is looking for security work.
Brown is one of 300 military veterans who showed up at an American Legion Post for a job fair put on Hiring Our Heroes. The group is on a national campaign with a goal of getting 500,000 veterans back on the job by 2014. General Electric, Verizon, and First Command are among the companies that interviewed candidates at Tuesday’s fair.
Hiring Our Heroes Western Regional Associate Virginia Carpenter said a workshop was offered giving the veterans tips on how to better market their skills.
“Because a lot of companies don’t know how to translate what the veterans did into civilian terms, and a lot of the veterans don’t know how to translate their military training into civilian terms as well” [to show how their talents are best suited for the company],” she said.
The group hosts job fairs for veterans all over the country. The next Arizona event is scheduled for March 6 in Flagstaff. Carpenter said they are also hoping to put on another job fair in Phoenix on April 25.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them