Residents and business owners of the town of Greer are afraid that the closure of the historic Greer Lodge might negatively impact tourism.
The small town nestled in the White Mountains has been hard hit over the past few years by the economy and the Wallow Fire.
“The Greer Lodge, like our property and others, has been a critical part of welcoming guests to the slice of heaven we call home in the White Mountains. Greer offers a respite from the heat in the summer, beautiful leaves in the fall, nature’s awakening in the spring and a winter wonderland when we have snow like we do now. It is a loss any time any one, especially a business like Greer Lodge, is no longer making the marketplace aware of such a great area to visit,” said Casey Bolinger, owner of nearby Hidden Meadow Ranch in statement.
According to Bolinger, the owners of the Greer Lodge invested a lot of money into marketing and advertising. She fears that without it, tourists will forget Greer is still on the map.
“We’re losing not only the business and the jobs, but we’re losing that marketing push, so yes, we are very concerned,” she said.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains