PHOENIX — In western Arizona, right next to California, you’ll find the state’s second smallest county.
La Paz County has just about 21,000 residents spread out across 4,200 square miles. That’s one reason, Vickie Clark, the CEO of La Paz Regional Hospital, said is behind the county’s flu-free status.
“You’re not walking the sidewalks with all the people or fighting them in the stores all day,” she said.
La Paz stands alone as the only county in Arizona with no confirmed flu cases this season. Katie Turnbow with the county health department credits their vaccinations programs. The YMCA offers free flu shots to students at 11 schools.
“This has also been a really big community effort with our doctors and hospitals to get everybody vaccinated early in the season,” she said.
Both Clark and Turnbow don’t expect their flu-free streak to continue. Tens of thousands of visitors are expected later this month for the annual gem and mineral show in Quartzite and, in February, a big off-road race will take place in Parker, just about the time the La Paz County Health Department expects flu cases to peak.
So far, this season Arizona’s Department of Health Services has confirmed 790 flu cases compared to 18 cases at the same time during the 2011 to 2012 season. Find the latest info on Arizona’s flu cases at azdhs.gov.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development