PHOENIX — In western Arizona, right next to California, you’ll find the state’s second smallest county.
La Paz County has just about 21,000 residents spread out across 4,200 square miles. That’s one reason, Vickie Clark, the CEO of La Paz Regional Hospital, said is behind the county’s flu-free status.
“You’re not walking the sidewalks with all the people or fighting them in the stores all day,” she said.
La Paz stands alone as the only county in Arizona with no confirmed flu cases this season. Katie Turnbow with the county health department credits their vaccinations programs. The YMCA offers free flu shots to students at 11 schools.
“This has also been a really big community effort with our doctors and hospitals to get everybody vaccinated early in the season,” she said.
Both Clark and Turnbow don’t expect their flu-free streak to continue. Tens of thousands of visitors are expected later this month for the annual gem and mineral show in Quartzite and, in February, a big off-road race will take place in Parker, just about the time the La Paz County Health Department expects flu cases to peak.
So far, this season Arizona’s Department of Health Services has confirmed 790 flu cases compared to 18 cases at the same time during the 2011 to 2012 season. Find the latest info on Arizona’s flu cases at azdhs.gov.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets