PHOENIX — In western Arizona, right next to California, you’ll find the state’s second smallest county.
La Paz County has just about 21,000 residents spread out across 4,200 square miles. That’s one reason, Vickie Clark, the CEO of La Paz Regional Hospital, said is behind the county’s flu-free status.
“You’re not walking the sidewalks with all the people or fighting them in the stores all day,” she said.
La Paz stands alone as the only county in Arizona with no confirmed flu cases this season. Katie Turnbow with the county health department credits their vaccinations programs. The YMCA offers free flu shots to students at 11 schools.
“This has also been a really big community effort with our doctors and hospitals to get everybody vaccinated early in the season,” she said.
Both Clark and Turnbow don’t expect their flu-free streak to continue. Tens of thousands of visitors are expected later this month for the annual gem and mineral show in Quartzite and, in February, a big off-road race will take place in Parker, just about the time the La Paz County Health Department expects flu cases to peak.
So far, this season Arizona’s Department of Health Services has confirmed 790 flu cases compared to 18 cases at the same time during the 2011 to 2012 season. Find the latest info on Arizona’s flu cases at azdhs.gov.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees