When the National Hockey League and National Hockey League Players’ Association reached a tentative agreement to end a lockout on Sunday morning, some in Glendale breathed a sigh of relief and others may have begun to worry.
“It depends on your perspective,” said Mike Sunnucks of the Phoenix Business Journal. “From the team’s bottom line — they lost $20 [million] or $25 million per year in recent years — the less they actually play, the better … Now the restaurants, the bars, the sales tax and all of them around the arena in Glendale have certainly been hurt by the games not being there.”
Sunnucks said prospective buyer Greg Jamison could be prepared to finalized a deal for the team soon, as the lockout comes to a close.
“He basically has until the end of the month [January] to sign his part of the deal with Glendale and get that arena money.”
If Jamison fails to purchase the team, Sunnucks said the NHL will likely maintain it’s ownership of the team, but the future after that is uncertain.
“If he can’t come through by the end of the month, we go back to looking at things like Seattle, Quebec City and other markets.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon