Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio started ramping up security Monday at several schools in his jurisdiction.
The controversial decision to station armed volunteers from the sheriff’s posse comes weeks after the shooting in Newtown, Conn.
“We’re now concentrating on those towns that we do the law enforcement for like Cave Creek, Carefree, Fountain Hills,” Arpaio said. “We don’t have the manpower right now to cover the 2,000 schools in Phoenix and other cities.”
Arpaio said he’ll start the patrols at about 50 schools in Maricopa County. His trained volunteer posse members will be outside on school grounds, stationed in marked cars.
Arpaio said, “Some of them are trained in automatic assault rifles so you come near the school you’re going to have a big problem.”
SWAT teams and K-9 units will also help patrol schools at times, according to Arpaio.
The Sheriff’s Office plans to recruit and train more volunteer members to eventually cover every school in Maricopa County.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon