Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio started ramping up security Monday at several schools in his jurisdiction.
The controversial decision to station armed volunteers from the sheriff’s posse comes weeks after the shooting in Newtown, Conn.
“We’re now concentrating on those towns that we do the law enforcement for like Cave Creek, Carefree, Fountain Hills,” Arpaio said. “We don’t have the manpower right now to cover the 2,000 schools in Phoenix and other cities.”
Arpaio said he’ll start the patrols at about 50 schools in Maricopa County. His trained volunteer posse members will be outside on school grounds, stationed in marked cars.
Arpaio said, “Some of them are trained in automatic assault rifles so you come near the school you’re going to have a big problem.”
SWAT teams and K-9 units will also help patrol schools at times, according to Arpaio.
The Sheriff’s Office plans to recruit and train more volunteer members to eventually cover every school in Maricopa County.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona