Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio started ramping up security Monday at several schools in his jurisdiction.
The controversial decision to station armed volunteers from the sheriff’s posse comes weeks after the shooting in Newtown, Conn.
“We’re now concentrating on those towns that we do the law enforcement for like Cave Creek, Carefree, Fountain Hills,” Arpaio said. “We don’t have the manpower right now to cover the 2,000 schools in Phoenix and other cities.”
Arpaio said he’ll start the patrols at about 50 schools in Maricopa County. His trained volunteer posse members will be outside on school grounds, stationed in marked cars.
Arpaio said, “Some of them are trained in automatic assault rifles so you come near the school you’re going to have a big problem.”
SWAT teams and K-9 units will also help patrol schools at times, according to Arpaio.
The Sheriff’s Office plans to recruit and train more volunteer members to eventually cover every school in Maricopa County.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development