PHOENIX — An Arizona lawmaker wants to crack down on online posers.
Republican State Rep. Michelle Ugenti, who represents Fountain Hills and Scottsdale, is pushing legislation (House Bill 2004) that would make it a felony to pose as someone else on Facebook or Twitter.
California and Texas are among the states that have online impersonation laws.
Ugenti wants prison time for creating a fake social media account for malicious reasons. Anjali Abraham with the ACLU is concerned with the bill’s wording and the First Amendment implications. She believes making this a felony is heavy-handed.
“There might be a better way to go about penalizing the kind of conduct the sponsor says she’s interested in,” Abraham said.
Attorney Chris Mason, of Polsinelli Shughart in downtown Phoenix, said the state has laws to keep people from harassing or threatening someone via electronic communication and for now that’s enough.
“It will create a lot of constitutional concerns and lead to challenges if someone even tries to enforce it,” Mason said.
Ugenti did not return calls for an interview.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them