PHOENIX — The “happiest time of the year” is over and now it’s one of the busiest for some Valley lawyers.
More divorces are initiated in January than in any other month.
“The volume of calls that I am receiving this time of year is a dramatic increase from what I experience on a day-to-day basis” said Kaine Fisher, head of the Family Law Department at Rose Law Group.
Stress can be to blame as the added pressures during the holidays can amplify existing trouble at home. Also, many couples wait until the holidays are over to spare children the pain.
“We want to keep families together, but sometimes it’s inevitable,” said Fisher. “It’s not healthy for the children, for the parties and once they make that very difficult decision, that what I am there.”
Fisher encourages couples to explore their options first. If divorce is the only answer, he advises each person to secure money, know what their assets are and talk to their own attorney.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain