Twelve employees have been let go by new Pinal County Attorney Lando Voyles, who issued a statement saying the firings “reflect a cultural shift in prosecution” in his office.
Voyles said he is committed to changing a deep-rooted culture in the Florence office that resulted in the release of violent offenders.
The firings took place New Year’s Eve.
Richard Platt served as Pinal County chief deputy prosecutor under Voyles’ predecessor, Jim Walsh. He resigned shortly after Voyles took office, he said, because he believed Voyles was likely to bring in his own management personnel.
“I can understand that when a new person comes in, they want to bring in their own management personnel, that’s understandable,” said Platt. “But a number of the employees were non-management personnel. I was shocked.”
Platt said at least 10 of the workers were attorneys and several of them were experienced capital murder prosecutors.
He called the firings a setback for the office.
Platt said he first heard of the firings on Monday. “I received a phone call about 4 p.m. Monday afternoon that a list had come over from the Pinal County Human Resources department allegedly going to terminate 12 people,” he said.
Despite being aware there might be management changes, the firings still caught Platt off guard. He said Voyles informed the office there would be no changes for six months.
“To do it on the last day of December, without any prior notice, is a pretty lousy thing to do, in my opinion.”
Voyles did not respond to interview requests. A receptionist in his office said there will be a press conference “sometime in the near future,” but wouldn not give specifics about where or when.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon