Republican State Rep. Michelle Ugenti, who represents Fountain Hills and Scottsdale, is pushing legislation that would make it a felony to pose as someone else on Facebook or Twitter.
Ugenti, according to House Bill 2004, wants prison time for creating a fake social media account for malicious reasons. Anjali Abraham with the ACLU is concerned with the bills wording and the First Amendment implications and feels putting this in the felony class is heavy handed.
“There might be a better way to go about penalizing the kind of conduct the sponsor says she’s interested in.”
Valley attorney Chris Mason, of Polsinelli Shughart, said the state has laws on the books to keep people from harassing or threatening someone via electronic communication and for now that’s enough.
“It will create a lot of constitutional concerns and lead to challenges if someone even tries to enforce it.”
State lawmaker Michelle Ugenti did not return interview requests on her proposed legislation to make online impersonation a crime.
California and Texas are among the states that have online impersonation laws.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night