Republican State Rep. Michelle Ugenti, who represents Fountain Hills and Scottsdale, is pushing legislation that would make it a felony to pose as someone else on Facebook or Twitter.
Ugenti, according to House Bill 2004, wants prison time for creating a fake social media account for malicious reasons. Anjali Abraham with the ACLU is concerned with the bills wording and the First Amendment implications and feels putting this in the felony class is heavy handed.
“There might be a better way to go about penalizing the kind of conduct the sponsor says she’s interested in.”
Valley attorney Chris Mason, of Polsinelli Shughart, said the state has laws on the books to keep people from harassing or threatening someone via electronic communication and for now that’s enough.
“It will create a lot of constitutional concerns and lead to challenges if someone even tries to enforce it.”
State lawmaker Michelle Ugenti did not return interview requests on her proposed legislation to make online impersonation a crime.
California and Texas are among the states that have online impersonation laws.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever