The Department of Public Safety has reopened westbound Interstate 10 near Casa Grande Friday night after a rollover accident closed the road near State Route 387.
According to authorities, an eastbound pickup truck lost control after a tire blowout, crossed the median and hit a semi-truck head-on. A box truck then crashed into the semi, causing its trailer, filled with 44,000 pounds of formic acid, to roll. Some of the acid was spilled on the roadway.
The driver of the pickup truck was taken to a local hospital in critical condition.
Backups were stretching five miles on the westbound I-10 and four miles on the eastbound.
A later accident caused a complete closure of relief road of State Route 187. Two sedans collided near milepost 188, south of Sacaton. The southbound lanes were reopened shortly after the crash.
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past