CHANDLER — A Valley group is recovering from a fire at its facility in Chandler.
On Christmas Eve, an electrical fire started in a fish tank at the East Valley Jewish Community Center, leaving the facility with plenty of damage.
“That damage caused us to lose the immediate use of eight classrooms, seven offices, our kitchen and a multipurpose room,” said executive director Steve Tepper.
The Chandler Fire Department said the blaze was “an electrical fire of an unsuspicious nature.”
Tepper said he’s amazed by the outpouring of support the EVJCC has received from the community. Both the Chandler Fire and Police departments have delivered boxes of toys to replace those lost in the fire. People of all faiths and walks of life have been dropping off donations.
Tepper said what was lost in the fire isn’t the real story.
“It really has become, for us, a story about what we do have,” said Tepper. “The support of a community that views us as an important institution and is willing to fight to try to help keep us open and keep these kids in their classroom and learning, being supported, and continuing their development. It’s been, for me, awe-inspiring to be a part of.”
But the EVJCC could still use help.
“At this stage, if people are able to donate, cash donations or gift cards (from stores such as Wal-Mart, Costco, or a similar store) are really, really helpful to us,” said Tepper.
The East Valley Jewish Community Center is located at 908 N. Alma School Road in Chandler, near the intersection of Alma School and Ray roads. The telephone number is (480) 897-0588.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development