CHANDLER — A Valley group is recovering from a fire at its facility in Chandler.
On Christmas Eve, an electrical fire started in a fish tank at the East Valley Jewish Community Center, leaving the facility with plenty of damage.
“That damage caused us to lose the immediate use of eight classrooms, seven offices, our kitchen and a multipurpose room,” said executive director Steve Tepper.
The Chandler Fire Department said the blaze was “an electrical fire of an unsuspicious nature.”
Tepper said he’s amazed by the outpouring of support the EVJCC has received from the community. Both the Chandler Fire and Police departments have delivered boxes of toys to replace those lost in the fire. People of all faiths and walks of life have been dropping off donations.
Tepper said what was lost in the fire isn’t the real story.
“It really has become, for us, a story about what we do have,” said Tepper. “The support of a community that views us as an important institution and is willing to fight to try to help keep us open and keep these kids in their classroom and learning, being supported, and continuing their development. It’s been, for me, awe-inspiring to be a part of.”
But the EVJCC could still use help.
“At this stage, if people are able to donate, cash donations or gift cards (from stores such as Wal-Mart, Costco, or a similar store) are really, really helpful to us,” said Tepper.
The East Valley Jewish Community Center is located at 908 N. Alma School Road in Chandler, near the intersection of Alma School and Ray roads. The telephone number is (480) 897-0588.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them