CHANDLER, ARIZ. — There may still be a future for a Valley race track.
Firebird International Raceway owner Charlie Allen said in a written statement on Wednesday that the Gila River Indian Community will not extend or renew the track’s lease. The statement said that the track — located on Interstate 10 south of Chandler — will close in April.
But the National Hot Rod Association is trying to save Firebird. ”
We have been in discussions with the Gila River Indian Community,” said NHRA Vice President of Racing Operations Graham Light. “It’s certainly our hope that they can somehow keep the facility open.”
Light said that not having races in the valley would be a disappointment.
“The Phoenix market is important to us and our sponsors,” he said. “For the last 29 years, it’s been one of our favorite spots on our 24-race NHRA series.”
Light said the NHRA hopes to come to an agreement with the community and have an announcement about the track’s future before the Mello Yello drag racing event that will be held at Firebird in February.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy