CHANDLER, ARIZ. — There may still be a future for a Valley race track.
Firebird International Raceway owner Charlie Allen said in a written statement on Wednesday that the Gila River Indian Community will not extend or renew the track’s lease. The statement said that the track — located on Interstate 10 south of Chandler — will close in April.
But the National Hot Rod Association is trying to save Firebird. ”
We have been in discussions with the Gila River Indian Community,” said NHRA Vice President of Racing Operations Graham Light. “It’s certainly our hope that they can somehow keep the facility open.”
Light said that not having races in the valley would be a disappointment.
“The Phoenix market is important to us and our sponsors,” he said. “For the last 29 years, it’s been one of our favorite spots on our 24-race NHRA series.”
Light said the NHRA hopes to come to an agreement with the community and have an announcement about the track’s future before the Mello Yello drag racing event that will be held at Firebird in February.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.